Welcome to the PE Department
Aims and Purpose
The PE department are extremely committed to ensuring that every student at Meden School has the opportunity to take part in a high-quality PE curriculum that aims to:
- Inspire all students, regardless of ability to be suitably challenged and develop competence and knowledge in a breadth of sport and physical activity through a variety of roles (performer, coach, official).
- Provide an opportunity for students to understand how their engagement in PE and school sport can contribute to their social, mental and physical health and wellbeing.
- Encourage students to develop a lifelong love of learning of sport through finding one physical activity that they can take part in and enjoy beyond school.
- Develop the character of students as well as intellect through the promotion of key sporting values (link to growth mind-set and ATL) and model the high expectations through our practice.
- Create opportunities for students to take part in competitive sport through lessons, extra-curricular, sporting fixtures and links to local clubs (Mansfield Rugby Club, Mansfield Town FC, Welbeck FC, Meden Vale Rugby, Mansfield Giants, Welbeck Cricket Club, Mansfield Harriers and AC)
- Develop ambition through an excellent careers education and support students to make informed decisions about their future in a sporting career (CNAT Sport Studies, A Level PE, University Progression)
- Communicate the aims and implementation of the PE curriculum, extra-curricular clubs and sporting fixtures with the community and celebrate the success of individuals through positive calls home and athlete of the week.
Every student at Meden School is encouraged to take part in our extensive extra-curricular PE programme. Throughout the year, students can take part in a range of after school clubs which are run by PE teachers and coaches from local clubs. All the clubs on offer encourage and develop a 'sport for all' philosophy so all students have the chance to come along, take part, be successful and represent the school.
The extra-curricular programme will change every term to allow a variety of different sports to be offered in line with the sports being covered in CORE PE and the fixtures being played between the Mansfield schools. An up to date copy of the extra- curricular programme will appear in the news section each term and will be communicated with students in school.
The Meden PE department have a good reputation within the county for sporting prowess. We endeavour to make sure as many students as possible have the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular activities and can experience success through competitions with other schools.
If your child is selected to represent Meden School in competitions, they will be given a letter which has all the necessary details for the fixture. This letter will need to be signed and returned to the relevant teacher no later than a day before the fixture. If you have any questions about the fixture, please do not hesitate to contact the PE department who will be happy to answer any of your questions.
Physical Education News
- Rememberance Day
Challenger Students represent all armed forces past and present on rememberance day (11/11/2016)
- Athlete of the week
PE Nominate Top Athletes of the Week (25/09/2015)
- Athlete of the Week
PE nominates Top Athelete of the week (18/09/2015)
- Meden Nominates Athlete of the Week
Who will it be? (11/09/2015)
- Elliot Clogg is selected to represent TEAM GB!!
Elliot Clogg has been selected to represent team GB in the European Youth Olympics (14/07/2015)